Sunset Cooperative Nursery School, which began in 1940 as the Parkside Play Center, is the oldest continually operating parent-participation preschool in San Francisco. Sunset provides a trusting and caring environment for children to play, learn, and grow.
Our play-based curriculum offers a broad range of hands-on experiences, which forms a basis for learning and encourages creativity. We provide children with many choices each day, including art, music, dance, storytelling, science and math projects, nature studies, and outdoor play. This variety of activities helps to develop large and small motor skills.
Sunset’s play spaces and program are designed to promote healthy brain development. We focus on helping children to:
- Develop strong connections with parents, peers, and familiar adults.
- Learn how to handle emotions and consider the feelings of others.
- Build communication and problem-solving skills.
- Nurture their imagination, creativity, and curiosity.
- Tell their own stories and act them out as plays.